22 TIPS FOR ORGANIZING A SUSTAINABLE EVENT
- Pour your drinks into glasses or reusable cups.
- Apply a deposit to all your drinks, even for those in oneway bottles or cans.
- Provide reusable instead of carboard trays.
Food and drinks
- Provide (carbonised) tap water.
- Switch to vegetarian / vegan as much as possible (e.g. meat free festivals are Shambala, DGLT and Paradise City).
- Choose local food trucks and prepare a sustainability charter for them.
- Opt for fair trade or organic as much as possible.
- Create as few different waste streams as possible.
- Make it possible for the visitor (if there are several materials / raw materials) to sort them on the site.
- Provide waste islands with clear signage.
- Always put the relevant bins together.
- Provide a container park for your employees from the beginning. Signaling is also important here!
- Choose light poles with sensors, almost every supplier has them in his/her range.
- Take measurements to compile a smart energy plan which avoids unnecessary consumption.
- Check whether the event can be «powered» by the fixed electricity network. Is this possible? A second step is to request green energy for the duration of the event.
- Many merchandising materials are distributed at many events. Often these caps, stylos, balloons, … are still thrown away on site. Forbid these merchandising or offer a ‘virtual goodiebag’ which you send by e-mail after the event.
- Choose reusable materials like chalk boards or choose a sustainable banner material (for example: 100% made of PET-bottles).
- Find a printing company that works with recycled paper and / or vegetable inks for your signage.